Sunday, April 7, 2013

Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad

Perhaps some of Kim Jong-un's tough talk this week has spilled into the Chelsea dressing room and specifically into Fernando Torres' ears.... the troubled Spaniard just scored two goals in one evening equaling his total number scored in his last 22 games! Ironically, Torres scored his 17th goal of the season in the 17th minute of Chelsea's first leg quarter final Europa League clash against the Russian Club Rubin Kazan. Although 17 (and even 18!) is a pretty respectable figure (and is definitely better than 11 which was last season's goal total), it seems fairly lacking when compared to 57 goals scored by Lionel Messi so far this season.  I shouldn't put a downer on Fernando's much needed two goals - and once again find myself hoping, (along with thousands of other blues supporters), that his latest conquests will go some way towards healing his bruised ego and that ultimately, his confidence and scoring prowess will be restored. sadly, I must add that experience has taught me not to hold my breath...  I was a crazy 'Zorro' fan as a child and don't know if that is responsible for me thinking that the fact that Torres was sporting a mask to protect his broken nose when scoring these goals, may actually work for him as a long term tactic.  Perhaps the mask helped protect more than his nose - is that where the expression 'saving face' comes from?  So maybe he should keep the mask as a regular feature - a bit like Petr Cech wearing a rugby hat to protect his skull - it could be the 'Mask of Torres'! I must also add that the Spaniard broke a club record by scoring on Thursday evening - the first player to score in seven different competitions in one season.

As implied by my 'Meat Loaf' loving title, we have won two out of our last three games since my last post, and we are hours away from the fourth - I started the post on Thursday evening having been inspired by Torres - then lost my mojo for a couple of days and now find myself chasing the clock before our kick off this afternoon against Sunderland (and their newly appointed, self proclaimed and self denied fascist manager, Paolo Di Canio) - all this so my title stands - I could always just change the title but that would be too easy and being a Chelsea supporter has taught me a thing or two about doing things the hard way!

I was privileged enough to be at Stamford Bridge on Monday and watch the slaying of the Red Devils. It was an honour to witness, first hand, Demba Ba's goal and Petr Cech's super human save from yet another cheeky Hernandez header. I can honestly say we deserved to win the match and look forward to our semi-final clash with Manchester City at Wembley.  Manchester City denied us the FA Cup in 2011 - had we won, we would have made FA Cup history by winning the cup four consecutive years.  Lets hope we can get past Mancini's men as we did their neighbours and find ourselves in yet another Cup Final.

At Stamford Bridge, I found myself sitting between two senior citizens - quite useful as it was a freezing cold day and their extra layers went some way to warming me up - as I discovered when one of them left his seat for a few minutes and I froze!!  Yes I was alone as I could only get one ticket but also recently find the ticket prices and the economic climate forcing me into more of a 'billy no mates' situation as I can't really justify spending an extra 50 or 60 pounds in order to give myself the comfort of having a buddy sitting next to me.  writing this, I have just realised my 'billy no mates' status extends into non football life too - I was trying to think if there was anyone I knew who could fund their own football habit and accompany me to the Bridge - my ageing  brain got stuck on the first part of the question: 'anyone I knew'.....!  Sorry I am being a bit self indulgent, getting back to where I was sitting - at half time I started chatting to the friendly gentleman on my right - he has been a season ticket holder for 30 years and knew many of the supporters sitting around us.  I felt his views deserved my respect... he said even though the team has a lot of individual talent, he was increasingly frustrated by the players looking like they... quote:
"think they can walk the ball into the back of the net!"
Demba Ba did prove him wrong on that but I guess I know what he means.  Talking of Ba, I know the goal was spectacular, but the last few matches he has played I have found myself getting quite frustrated with him (and at times 'Torres' frustrated!).  My 'heating' friend from the match and his mates all seemed in independent agreement with me during the first half of the FA Cup quarter final.  Statements such as : "it's getting so bad I want Rafa to bring Torres on", were being exchanged amongst other light hearted jabs at Ba's apparent inadequacies.  After the 'goal' the tide seem to turn.  Had Ba's game really improved or are supporters fickle enough to forget any complaints once a goal is scored.  If that is the case then Fernando is in luck!

I really should write my posts more often so they don't go on so much....

If you find yourself bored at all, I recommend you try and watch at least the highlights of the three Europa League games involving English Clubs - the Tottenham and Newcastle games were really good value.  I was much more entertained watching those games than the Champion's League draws on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.  I am not just saying that because Chelsea is out of the Champion's League, I think I am being objective!  Although it was great to see Beckham back in Europe taking a free kick.  I found myself willing PSG on and was thrilled with their 90 +4 min equaliser, much to my daughter's boyfriend's annoyance - he supports Barca after Valencia.  Talking of my daughter's boyfriend, F, he has become a champion score predictor for all kinds of matches.   As I gave up predicting Chelsea scores, F and my daughter K, took over the mantle.  Since January, F has received four emails from Chelsea FC congratulating him on 100% correct predictions of score and scorers.  His success has unfortunately led him into the bookies where he won quite a few pounds correctly guessing Real Madrid would beat Galatasaray 3-0 and that the Malaga v Dortmund tie would end in a draw. Winning is the biggest promoter of gambling and F is either very lucky or psychic!  His horse came in fifth yesterday in the Grand National so hopefully his betting ways are only temporary! (My 66-1 each way bet came in fourth - I chose it because of it's name: 'Oscar Time'!  Thanks Oscar!)

So many crucial players picked up injuries this last week:
Ashley Cole, Lionel Messi, Aaron Lennon, Gareth Bale.... the list goes on but I have mentioned the most obvious (and important to Chelsea's campaign, apart from Messi of course!).  I feel a little guilty about Gareth Bale as when Lennon went off injured in their game against Basel (who did well to score two away goals even though the match ended 2-2), I had a fleeting and hugely uncharitable thought: "wouldn't it have helped our top four Premeiership chances more if it had been Bale".... I am ashamed of this 'intrusive thought' which found it's own way into my brain, a little like a pocket of 'hot air' involuntarily finding it's own way out of oneself, usually in the company of important strangers!  Writing f**t would have been easier but I didn't want to offend any sensitive readers!  I would never wish injury on any player - I think it must be the worst thing for any sports person to deal with and I repeat, the thought was an involuntary one.  Needless to say that when Gareth Bale was stretchered off near the end of the match, I was filled with guilt and remorse.  I wish all the injured players a speedy recovery.  AVB has since confirmed Bale will only be out for a couple of games... Oh no another intrusive thought/f**t ... "why couldn't he wait till after the Chelsea game..."

Talking about Swiss football teams just reminded me, check out this clip:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iipck7ZVlw0



Better end as am off to Stamford Bridge again today to see for myself any evidence of Paolo Di Canio raising his arm to a 45 degree angle!!

Last thing before I go,  a few lyrics from Meat Loaf to end with:

"Now don't be sad (Don't be sad) 
'Cause two out of three ain't bad 
Now don't be sad (Don't) 
'Cause two out of three ain't bad 
Baby we can talk all night 
But that ain't getting us nowhere..."






















No comments:

Post a Comment