Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Obi One can Obi....

....keep it up?!!  (I know very lame, but really wanted to go with the Star Wars theme!)

What a way to start the New Year:

Two consecutive wins, two successive clean sheets and John Obi Mikel scored his fourth Chelsea goal on his 300th appearance for the club!


The hectic December fixture list has taken its toll on some clubs but so far Mourinho’s men have not only won their last four games (as well as drawing with Arsenal, which is no mean feat in the post Ozil Emirates Stadium!) but somehow seem strengthened and focussed by the intensity of the last few weeks.

As I am writing this post I have the Capital One semi-final between Sunderland and Manchester United on in the back ground.  Normally I would be watching such a tie intently but somehow the fact that it should have been us against United has made me reticent to watch.  Not saying Sunderland don’t deserve to be there  - just suffering a bit from what my girls call FOMO (for those of you who like me need to resort  to the Urban dictionary, it means Fear Of Missing Out)!

 GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!

Sunderland go 1-0 up in the added minute of the first half…………………. My default position to such news would be celebration.  It is not a secret that I have never been a big fan of Manchester United.  I am experiencing very mixed and unusual feelings of empathy for MU supporters.  This could either be evidence that I am truly menopausal or that I am not the kind of person who kicks someone when they are down.  It could also be sympathy for Moyes who is in the firing line.  I was always a fan of Moyes during his time at Everton and feel he was handed a poisoned chalice when given the impossible job of succeeding the legendary Alex Ferguson.  I hope the fans will be patient while he tries to fill a large pair of Scottish boots!


Goal L Yes Manchester United equalised and now I am feeling even more conflicted for having wasted my energies on the Red Devils.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!

Fabio Borini strikes in a penalty for Sunderland, 2-1 and now I am feeling………

STOP – I can’t continue this train of thought – it is far too annoying  but a great example of the consuming and exhilarating nature of football.  Especially this season, where no result can be predicted or expected.

This leads me nicely onto a bit of a political rant.  Through my life I have taken little interest in politics and have never been affiliated with any political group or dogma.  This could have been a result of having a Fascist father and a Communist sister!!!

(90 min at the Stadium of Light – 5 minutes Fergie time – Sunderland have parked the bus – Gus Poyet is looking even more crazed than usual – the Black Cats are hanging on by their newly sharpened claws thanks to Poyet improving their pre match preparation  habits – Full time – another loss for Manchester United (at least away from Old Trafford this time – two days ago they suffered their fifth defeat this season at Old Trafford – the Fortress is no longer……) I digress again – last time I promise – especially as the distracting match is over!!)

Back to my political rant:
The advent of the BT Sport Channel has been a catalyst for my rant.  Having subscribed to Sky Sports and Chelsea TV (Chelsea TV is possibly more of a luxury than a necessity) I absolutely begrudge having to pay yet another subscription in order to view what should be every sports fan’s ultimate right (admittedly I wouldn't have to if I had BT internet!). I have been privileged enough to afford my Sky subscription but have always wondered about those who can’t – every person with a TV in the UK already pays a licence fee to watch their television.  In these times of austerity it seems shocking that people are being deprived of the few pleasures in life.  To say the entitlement to Sport viewing is as essential as free health care may be going a bit too far – but I don’t think it is way off the mark – rising ticket prices have alienated many fans who would normally benefit from a weekly free therapy session venting their frustrations on the terraces.  And now the fans are being pushed out of their arm chairs as well.  With BT Sport having out bid Sky and ITV for all live UK rights to Champion’s League and Europa League in 2015 there will be no universally accessible European football on TV.  It is not just football – most lucrative sports are now pay per view….. fans are an essential component of competitive sport and the grass roots fans are being squeezed out……. Something needs to change……


FOOTBALL FOR ALL!!!

Rant over – my younger daughter’s Spanish boyfriend (yes the same one from last year – still going strong) has just asked me if I am writing a novel!  They are no longer in their love (some would say shag) pad!! – He is supposed to be back at University in Spain but miraculously I find him in our kitchen most mornings!  He is very pleasant to have around, especially as he regularly unloads the dishwasher, which is more than my daughters do (even though I leave post it notes out reminding them where the dish washer is!).  The only time I have an issue with him is when he bets on a team playing Chelsea and then loudly supports the opposition through the course of what is usually a fairly tense ninety minutes anyway!

Before the novel becomes unreadable, I must quickly mention my delight at the start of the Premiership’s involvement in this season's FA Cup.  It is good to see that most top-flight managers are giving the Cup the respect it deserves by fielding strong teams while giving youngsters a run out.  I was disappointed to hear Paul Lambert quoted as saying most Premiership managers could do without the cup if they were being honest.   I thoroughly enjoyed Chelsea’s cup tie with Derby and know Derby fans did too. The third round this season has again thrown up a load of David v Goliath ties in a way no other competition in the world can. Brendan Rodgers had the opportunity to kiss his son Anton as he walked off the pitch after their teams clashed in the magical competition.  Young Jamie Paterson scored a hat trick in Nottingham Forest’s 5-0 defeat of the struggling West Ham.  Swansea City made history again by defeating Manchester United at Old Trafford for the first time ever.  I could go on and on but the point is what is there not to like about the Cup???




No comments:

Post a Comment