Saturday, January 18, 2014

Will Mata survive the Oscar season?

I just got back from a few days in Spain celebrating my other half’s 50th – the weather was uncharacteristically cold and wet giving us the perfect excuse to spend many an hour eating (of course I watched the Hull game, another clean sheet, congrats Petr Cech on the his record breaking 209 clean sheets and to Eden Hazard for being awarded his third consecutive 'Man of the Match').  One of our regular haunts was a traditional Spanish bar which not only had delicious tapas but also housed a couple of large plasma screens constantly broadcasting football games.  Not surprisingly the clientele was predominantly male and the atmosphere was intense; concentrated silence interspersed with raucous excitement.  It was the perfect place for any football fan!  Whilst plucking succulent, fleshy leaves, dripping in melted butter, from my ember grilled artichoke, I noticed the image of a boyish Fernando Torres, donning the distinctive red and white stripe of the Athletico Madrid shirt.  The TV channel was doing the usual fill before a match, showing historical clips from previous meetings of the two sides – which happened to be Athletico and Barca.  Seeing images of a young and happy Torres in his native land, looking like he was going to conquer the world, reminded me of the drama surrounding the Chelsea Spaniards…..


We have all got used to the hype surrounding Fernando Torres and his erratic form since he moved to Chelsea.  What has come as more of a shock to the footballing world is Mourinho’s treatment of Juan Mata, the two time winner of the Chelsea Player of the Year award. There are daily speculations of when Mata will leave Chelsea and which club he will be joining.


In contrast to the adulation afforded to Mourinho by Chelsea fans, Spanish fans don’t think much of the Portugese Manager after his stint at Real Madrid, where he managed to alienate almost all the players, starting with the legendary Iker Casillas.  The general consensus is that Jose hates all things Spanish (as would be expected of a Portugese!).  In fact when Mourinho returned to Chelsea last Summer, the Spanish tabloids ran stories on how his first move would be to get rid of Torres, Mata and Azpilicueta (the fourth Spanish musketeer, Oriol Romeu went under the radar as he was on a season long loan to Valencia).  My younger daughter’s Spanish boyfriend also felt compelled to regularly reinforce these speculations.  So I must admit it came as no surprise to me when Mourinho benched the Spaniards at the start of the season.  (There is also a rational explanation for such a decision – Spain had reached the finals of the Confederations Cup in Brazil  and the players had missed out on a necessary rest period – ironically Fernando Torres won the golden boot for scoring the most goals during the tournament!)

With time and Jose’s inclusion of Torres and Azpilicueta (or Dave as he is fondly known by the fans) in the team, I have decided that Juan Mata’s ‘Spanishness’ is not the problem!!  If anything,  when  Mourinho started selecting Dave as left back (even though his natural position is right back), in preference to Ashley Cole, one could almost make a case for Jose favouring the Spaniards.


The question dividing the footballing community is what is Mourinho’s issue with Mata?

Mourinho himself has made it clear that he prefers Oscar in the number 10 position.  He has also commented on Mata’s failings in a defensive capacity.  It seems reasonable that Mourinho would want his players to be effective all over the pitch and not just in the top third.  I have to be honest and admit that I myself have had my own issues with Mata.

Firstly, my older daughter, who is at least a foot taller than the Spanish play maker, is absolutely obsessed by him – she says things like ‘I want to have his babies!’ – I can’t mention any of her other desires as they are quite X-rated.  As a result of this strange fascination, it is hugely annoying to watch any Chelsea match with her featuring Mata.  I have endured two and a half years of her screeching ‘Juuuuuuuuuaaaaaaannnnnnn’ in the highest pitch her vocal chords will permit, every time the Spaniard even approaches the ball.  The side effects of her obsession have been the fact that Mata’s presence on the pitch has been highlighted for me whether he is living up to his reputation as a ‘magician’ or falling short of it.
 
My second issue with Mata has arisen as a result of this added scrutiny brought on by my daughter’s obsession.  Having watched him so closely, I found myself criticising him more and more often.  At times he looked as fragile as a feather, blowing over at the slightest contact.  Mata's insistence to use his favoured left foot, often resulted in his taking too many touches and missing important chances. I don’t dispute he has an amazing touch but  there were times when he would repeatedly lose the ball and not be able to win it back.  Until Mourinho’s arrival this season I thought I was going mad because all anyone would say about Mata was how amazing he was – no one seemed to be watching the same player as I was.  On the flip side, having recognised Mata’s failings, I never thought they were enough to justify his continuous presence on the bench.

August 27th 2011 – Stamford Bridge – Chelsea v Norwich - 67 minutes Juan Mata makes his debut  - 90 + minutes Juan Mata goes on to score his first goal for Chelsea – I was at the Bridge – it was a sunny afternoon and Mata was full of promise (as was AVB and the other debutante Romelu Lukaku!)  - football is a fickle world…..


Talking of fickle – I’m off to Stamford Bridge tomorrow – Chelsea is hosting Manchester United with David Moyes at the helm.  I honestly don’t know which way it will go but am ever hopeful…..


No comments:

Post a Comment