Friday, February 21, 2014

Building Bridges

On the eve of tomorrow's inaugural "Game for Equality" being held at Stamford Bridge, I find myself assessing my own take on the continued fight for 'equality' and against discrimination.

Tomorrow's lunchtime Premier League clash between Chelsea and Everton has been chosen to be the first 'Game for Equality' and sees Chelsea FC's Building Bridges initiative join forces with Kick it Out, Football v Homophobia, the Premier League and the FA to underline Football's commitment to tackle discrimination in all guises.  Building Bridges was launched by Chelsea back in 2010 to promote equality in the Club, amongst the supporters and local communities, working alongside schools and related organisations to celebrate diversity.

Chelsea's Senegalese striker Demba Ba, who has been the subject of discrimination in the past for his race and religion (he is a practising Muslim), and is the Club's ambassador for the Building Bridges campaign said:

“I’m proud to be asked to be the ambassador for this campaign as it is important we as a club stand up to all forms of discrimination. I support all work promoting equality, and believe days like this will help get the message out there. There is no place for discrimination. Our club and our communities should be open to all regardless of race, religion, gender or sexuality.”

Whilst reading about tomorrow's commendable initiative I started to feel very guilty about a recent and impulsive reaction I had experienced watching the Blues News feature on the Chelsea Women's football team.  They were heralding the arrival of this Winter's seventh signing for the Women's team and my gut instinct was: (I apologise in advance to my sex for what I am about to write!) 'why are they wasting their money on the Women's game?'  As much as I love Men's football, I really struggle watching the Ladies equivalent.  It is not for want of trying - my husband's niece is a very talented footballer and was even selected for the England U17 team a few years ago - her selection got me interested in Women's football - at that time it was not as readily accessible but I managed to watch the odd game or two and I could not last the full 90 minutes.  I can watch any football game with male players but can't muster enthusiasm for the Women's game.  The question is does this make me sexist?  Could I be accused of discriminating against my own gender?  Is it because Women's football is not as intense or physical as the Men's game? Am I just not finding it as entertaining?  Does that qualify as discrimination or personal preference?  I am not sure of the answers to these questions - deep down and in light of the recent focus on discrimination, I think I may be guilty of it even if it is against my own gender.  I hold my hands up.... and I apologise to my sex....

Discrimination is closer than we think - it is inside each and every one of us in some form or another.

The first step is to recognise it.

Having admitted to my own failings, I now realise it has been years since I watched the Women's game and my prejudice has fuelled the dearth. One Google search of Women's football and I came up with this interesting fact:

"Women's football offers itself as an increasingly viable sport in its own right.  The 2011 World Cup final was at the time the most tweeted event in Twitter's five-year history."

Thanks to Building Bridges my eyes have been opened to my prejudice but the big question is will I be able to overcome it?  I guess I will only know once the Women's season starts in April.


No comments:

Post a Comment