Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Who Scored Chelsea's Goal?

Yes, who did score Chelsea’s winning 93rd minute goal against the Toffees at Stamford Bridge on Saturday??

I was at the Bridge for the early game, which had promised to be a spectacle between Mourinho’s  League topping side and a re-energised Roberto Martinez' Everton.  In fact it fell short of the mark.  I am boring myself going on about rotation of the team and considering the players had all had a week's rest it is probably a moot point.  So why did the players (with the exception of the back four - so pleased to have JT back in the team)  seem so sluggish and lacking pace?   Oscar in particular seemed to struggle, so much so that Mourinho substituted him at half time.


When questioned about Oscar's recent disappointing form the Portugese Manager suggested the young player was struggling with the English weather - I am sure the victims of the recent floods will be pleased to know there is so much empathy for them at Stamford Bridge. Mourinho swapped one Brazilian for another bringing on an 'injured' Ramires- I would never have guessed the midfielder was injured had I not heard Jose saying so in the post match interview. Ramires injected more urgency and pace into the sleepy home side.  In-fact it was one of his signature runs into space which rattled the experienced England defender Phill Jagielka into making a rash challenge and giving away the free kick which Chelsea scored from.


Frank Lampard’s free kick which resulted in Chelsea’s  injury time goal was the highlight of the match for me, other than Jose Mourinho stepping onto the pitch during the game when challenging  a startled looking Lee Probert!!  In the stadium the goal was initially attributed to John Terry but my other half texted saying on TV it had been given to Frank Lampard.  I assumed Lamps must be responsible for the goal if declared so on television as they have access to different camera angles and unlimited replays that could be slowed right down.   So I walked home from what had been a disappointing game with a spring in my step as not only had we managed to pick the pockets of an organised Everton (who deserved at least to get something out of the game), but also that the three important points we had won were thanks to Super Frankie Lampard.  I say I walked home, but I actually had to go on a detour via the market on the North End Road (which seemed way more threatening than a football stadium full of 41,837 fanatical fans)  in order to buy ripe mangoes.  My younger daughter’s boyfriend’s parents were over from Spain for the weekend and I got roped into cooking Sunday roast, and was given many unsubtle hints about how our important guests love mango and how better to serve it than on a home-made Pavlova!!! 

On arriving home I discovered the goal had been given to John Terry after all.  I eagerly awaited MOTD to watch the highlights of the game and have a better look at the goal.  The panel on MOTD debated at length who was responsible for the goal – they included an Ivanovic header and an own goal by Tim Howard as third and fourth possibilities.

It reminded me of a game of Cluedo: was it Frank Lampard with the foot in the green grass, or Branislav Ivanovic with his hair in the clear air, or John Terry with a boot in the six yard box, or Tim Howard with a glove in front of the goal??!!

MOTD invited the audience to vote who they thought scored Chelsea's goal after reviewing the re plays (which showed the ball definitely making no contact with Ivanovic’s head and seemingly no contact with Terry’s stretched out leg).  The audience vote went for an own goal from Tim Howard (with 2% of the viewer’s remarkably voting for Ivanovic even though he was the only one of the four options which had been ruled out completely – at times like this I have to remind myself that diversity is what makes life so interesting!)  I still choose to give the goal to Frank as it was his beautifully placed free kick which initiated the whole debate.


The ‘who scored the goal’ question also reminded me of (I am not only about to age myself but also give away my dreadful TV watching habits):
“Who shot JR?”
And more recently:
“Who shot Phil?”
(For younger readers, these phrases refer to story lines from the TV Soaps Dallas and EastEnders – if you’re still wondering what I am banging on about, in the words of my husband – when he is fed up of me asking him annoying questions – ‘Google is your friend!!’)

It seems appropriate to be talking about Soap operas in light of our enigmatic Manager’s latest shenanigans – I personally want to thank the ‘disgraceful’ reporter who secretly recorded the Special One’s words.  I am so grateful for the knowledge that Mourinho is aware that his strikers can’t score!



                                                                                                                                                                             





No comments:

Post a Comment