Monday, January 28, 2013

A ‘Brad’ day at the office


It’s been an exhausting and exciting weekend of football... The fourth round of the FA Cup has not disappointed with shock results eliminating top premiership sides including Tottenham and Liverpool.  Chelsea FC narrowly missed adding its name to the list by managing an unconvincing draw against Brentford who will head to Stamford Bridge for the replay.
The one thing that struck me about all three mentioned clubs was that even though they showed respect to their ‘unseeded’ opponents by selecting strong and recognisable line ups, all three clubs played their second choice keepers in goal.

Pepe Reina’s understudy, Brad Jones took his place in the Liverpool goal against Oldham Athletic, a financially struggling League One side who are slipping towards the relegation zone.  An early goal from Oldham was neutralised by the reliable boot of Luis Suarez.  Brad Jones had a terrible game spilling the ball which provided Oldham’s ‘Man of the Match’ centre forward, Matt Smith, with his second goal, putting the home team back in the lead.   Although Liverpool fought back to equalise, the underdog’s regained the lead and the final whistle ended the game 3-2.  Paul Dickov, the Oldham manager welcomed the promise of much needed additional television revenues from their advancing into the next round of the Cup.

Andre Villas-Boas’ second choice veteran goal keeper, Brad Friedel, took his place in the Tottenham goal in their 4th round tie at Elland Road (Brad Friedel never gave me any cause for concern pre AVB when he was first choice keeper even though he is the oldest player in the Premiership – thinking back to AVB at Chelsea attempting to cull the old timers, I see a pattern forming – look out Age Concern.... ). Clint Dempsey led the Spurs attack and although the team created many chances they were unable to capitalise on them.  Leeds United took the lead and Tottenham found themselves chasing the game.  The match ended 2-1 and Neil Warnock celebrated his sides convincing win over their third Premier league opposition this season.
Now to Chelsea.... think I have been avoiding the subject – especially after the first half performance which I am running out of adjectives to describe...

There was of course the usual controversy, with Petr Cech’s stand-in, Ross (aka Brad for the purposes of this post!) Turnbull handling a ball passed back into the box by John Terry (who started his first game since November).  No card shown or penalty awarded to Brentford.  The Referee Jon Moss made up for it (I guess after his halftime talk!) in the second half by awarding the softest Penalty to Brentford which was as a result of another 'Bradish' Turnbull mistake.
Brentford lived up to their pre match hype and two out of the three highlighted players delivered.  The Italian striker on loan from Fulham, Marcello Trotta put the Bees in front before half time.  One Rafa half time talk later (and one Juan Mata later) the Blues picked up their game and Oscar (who we have nicknamed Bambi) showed some of his Brazilian flair and scored a stunning equaliser.  As I just mentioned Jon Moss then awarded the Bees a penalty which their Man of the Match Harry Forrester converted.  I had marked Clayton Donaldson as my third Bee to look out for but fortunately for us he seemed to be missing the sting in his tail.

In a previous post I said I could set my clock by when Benitez brings on the much longed for Demba Ba.  I hope I am not being presumptuous thinking Rafa Benitez may have been reading my blog but he brought on Demba Ba alongside Torres (who had been having a quiet game) at exactly 81 minutes again!  The two centre forwards blended well together culminating in Fernando’s finest and first goal of the year. Writing this has for some reason reminded me my monthly issue of 4.4.2 magazine has not arrived yet!!

Going back to the understudy goal keepers involved in these matches, perhaps if they were played in big matches more often, and not just cup ties, the nerves they seem to exude, as do the line of defenders standing directly in front of them, would disappear as would some of their costly and simple mistakes.  This remark is a generalisation but I hope you get the gist of what I am trying to say.

I have been rambling but couldn’t finish without mentioning my breaking heart as a result of my youngest, K, flying the nest to move in with her Spanish (and a little hairy!) boyfriend.  The move is today and maybe why I have come down on the Brad’s of the world a bit harder than I may have!  On the plus side, he is a lovely boy, a Valencia fan and is a mine of information about La Liga.  Until now I have been getting my weekly update of La Liga from Juan Mata’s blog ‘One Hour Behind’, as I am usually footballed out by the time the Spanish matches come on TV in the evenings.

Finally, talking of flying the nest – it seems Didier Drogba has turned down Chelsea offers of returning to the bridge and is on the brink of signing for Galatasary – how much heart ache can one blue woman endure in one day??!!

No comments:

Post a Comment