Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Disas’Torres’ night at the Bridge

A bit late, but better than never!  I have had a busy couple of days but had to write about Chelsea’s appalling result on Wednesday evening against a deserving Swansea team. 


Green eyes!
I had got tickets to watch the match at the bridge because, firstly, why wouldn’t you want to spend a January evening at Stamford Bridge, secondly, I get more loyalty points going to Capital One matches and thirdly, I wanted to see this season’s Swan’s in action – Michu, Rangel, Chico Flores, Pablo Hernandez (feels like I am writing about a La Liga side, not Swansea City!) and can’t leave out Routledge (not just for his green eyes but for his speedy charges up and down the wing).  And as I have mentioned before I rate their new manager, Michael Laudrup.

My oldest daughter, who I shall refer to as E, accompanied me – she has got the football bug recently.  Though she does seem genuinely interested, she also thinks it gets her a lot of attention from young men.  What she doesn’t realise is that her long blonde hair, beautiful face and endless legs, which I should mention are 44” from hip to toe (well maybe not quite that long but can never resist a quote from one of our favourite movies, ‘Pretty Woman’) are much more likely to be attracting the male attention!!  It feels like I am advertising my daughter, guess it is hard to get away from being a proud mum.

Anyway, getting back to the football, it was a cold night in West London and as the crowds settled in their seats there was a sense of excitement mingling with the inevitable anxiety which goes with being a Chelsea supporter at the moment – I have even stopped making predictions of the score line on the Chelsea FC Score Predictor (I was doing quite well on it, especially after predicting Willian would score for Shaktar Donetsk when we still had a place in the Champion’s League ;() – Who could predict beating Aston Villa 8-0 and losing to QPR who have been holding up the bottom of the Premiership.

Torres was in the starting line up, as were the three amigos – Rafa had put out a strong team – although Petr Cech was still missing in goal nursing a groin injury.  Chelsea had many chances in the first half an hour but couldn’t capitalise on any and it was a horrible moment with seven minutes to half time when Branislav Ivanovic was sloppy receiving the ball from Turnball.  The loose ball found its way into the path of Michu and the goal was inevitable.  I have to be honest at this point and say I actually missed seeing the goal and had to watch the game back when I got home.  The reason for my distraction was Frank!  He had just stepped off the bench and had started to warm up on the side lines and the loyal fans had spotted him and started chanting his name.  I found myself caught up in the familiar silent debate in my head about how a club could be letting go of a player who is not only a legend but in my eyes the heart of Chelsea FC.

The second half was even more frustrating than the first, knowing we had conceded and needed to bridge the gap.  Chance after chance was squandered – the Chelsea fans were showing their impatience by calling out for Demba Ba, as well as hurling unrepeatable abuse at Benitez and the rather annoying looking and acting referee, whose decisions were erratic to say the least…  The Swansea fans in contrast were singing their hearts out, and we found ourselves chuckling at their references to Cheryl Cole and “the Champions of Europe, you’re ‘aving a laugh” in a pathetic attempt to lighten the mood.

I didn’t want to resort to Torres bashing and have to say I have not questioned his work rate, especially since Drogba’s departure.  What I do question (along with a host of other critics) is his decision making and positioning on the pitch.  His passing when he should keep the ball, his keeping the ball when he should pass and somehow not having his toe in the right place to tap in the perfect pass across the box time after time.  There is no doubt this season there have been glimpses of some brilliance (fantastic header in third minute of match against Aston Villa back in December) but they are few and far between.  His goal tally for the season is not a true reflection of his performance as a striker – his tally makes him look so much better than I think he has been – but in reality his goals are rarely match winners or deciders, they tend to come after the match is won (and maybe when he starts to relax).  I have been torn in my support of him, wishing him to return to his previous glory (for his and Chelsea’s sake), but also hoping someone had the guts to cut their losses and let him go to another club where his fortunes may change.  Brendan Rodgers may have been slow in his resurrection of Liverpool but he was quick to recognise the poisoned chalice that was the £35 million under-performing Andy Carroll and he immediately put him out on loan to West Ham, where he seemed to be making more of a difference before he got injured. 

My favourite recent example of a player changing his fortunes with his club is the South African Steven Pienaar, who having transferred from Everton to Tottenham found himself making little impact and not featuring in many games (admittedly he had some injuries to contend with too).  He was then loaned back to Everton and became a significant enough force in the side to justify his permanent transfer. 

I am not suggesting if Torres returns to Liverpool or even his previous club Atletico Madrid that things will definitely change for him but is it not worth a try? I just saw in the news rumours of Atletico Madrid taking him back on loan this summer for a season.  If it was up to me I would sanction the move. 

Got distracted again, anyway we lost the game to Swansea 2-0, last minute second goal as a result of second Ivanovic mistake, sloppy ball back to Turnball which was pounced on by the fresh legs of the newly substituted Danny Graham.  Rafa brought Ba on for Torres with 9 minutes to go – if he was managing Manchester United there could be some justification for such a late change as they are the team than can turn their fortunes round with minutes to play – but with such an erratic Chelsea side one could argue such a late change was motivated by putting the need of one player (namely Torres and his need to score) above the ten other players on the pitch, the rest of the squad, back room staff, and millions of supporters. 

For me it is a no brainer.  Mr A, it is time to admit your £50 million investment was a bad one – let it go.... and by the way please keep Frank instead! 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment