Friday, January 25, 2013

Trouble in the Garden of Eden

I don't really know where to start.....

I guess first of all congratulations to Swansea City - a deserved win and I wish them luck in the final of the Capital One Cup.  A huge achievement for Michael Laudrup (who I continually mention is one of my favourite managers at the moment!!) and his side who take their place in the final of a knock out competition for the first time in the clubs history.

Commiserations to the Blues.  The only positive I can think of is that they may have been spared the humiliation of being beaten by a league two Bradford City side at Wembley.  Disappointment seems to be the name of the game this season and in five short months we have blown five opportunities for silverware.  As a result the 4th round FA cup tie against Brentford this Sunday suddenly has enormous significance for Rafa Benitez and Chelsea.

And yes now it's time to discuss 'Hazard gate'.  I must point out before I give my opinion that I have tried to be as objective as a reasonable Chelsea fan who loves Eden Hazard can be!  The only thing I think Hazard was guilty of was reacting instinctively (and as a result somewhat foolishly) to a surprisingly unusual and uncalled for event. I completely agree with all those who suggested that it was never Hazard's intention to hurt the boy.  If you watch the incident (which I have done numerous times) it is clear the Belgian initially tried to recover the ball with his hands.  It was only when the 17 year old Swansea City ball boy hurled his body on top of the ball,  in the manner of a desperate goal keeper that Hazard lost his cool and opted for a toe poke to push the ball out from under the boys abdomen.  For me the jury is still out as to whether Eden actually made contact with the boy, but I am more than certain he did make contact with the ball, as it popped out from the other side of the boy's body.  After watching the ball boy seemingly writhing around in agony I was comforted knowing that if his father's millions ever become unavailable to him at least he has a career in acting - he deserves an Oscar after that performance.

It later also transpired that the boy had more than likely masterminded the fiasco, describing himself as"the king of ball boys" who was "needed for time wasting" when tweeting prior to the game beginning.  In a court of law such evidence would be a definite indicator of 'intent'.  Having intent is what differentiates 'murder' from 'manslaughter'.... I know I'm sounding a bit heavy but I feel incredibly frustrated by the way Hazard has been dealt with by the Referees, Swansea City players and management, the press and of course the FA.  The FA have now charged Hazard with violent conduct saying the normal three-match ban that is a mandatory sanction for violent conduct "was clearly insufficient."  After assessing the events of the evening and interviewing the ball boy and his father the South Wales Police decided not to bring any charges against Hazard.  This is reminiscent of the Magistrates clearing John Terry of racism but the FA deciding they know better than the Laws of the Land and charging him anyway.  Who is there to regulate the FA and their decisions?  Why does the FA know best?  Whatever the FA are deciding or not deciding, it is clear to me that they have been responsible for much of the recent 'putrefaction' of football.

There has been much talk of this event overshadowing Swansea City's greatest achievement to date.  For me the shadow cast by this debacle reaches further.  It has not only tainted Eden Hazard's reputation possibly indefinitely and unnecessarily but it has totally exonerated the behaviour of a conceited and jumped up young man without whose actions none of this would have ever taken place.   Lets not forget Eden Hazard is only five years older than the ball boy who has seemingly walked away from this storm with nothing more than a proliferating twitter following.

At least it's good to know money can't buy brains or integrity.


No comments:

Post a Comment